As Executive Chairman of The Spectrum Companies, Darryl is responsible for ensuring the overall success of the companies, from strategic planning, growing the platform, and leading both the Executive and Investment Committees.
Darryl began his career with a national real estate syndicator, moving quickly from operations to acquisitions in Atlanta, GA. While there, he was introduced to Spectrum and joined the team in 1987, early in its history. Named CEO in 2005, Darryl was appointed as Executive Chairman in 2017 and led Spectrum’s strategic decision to initiate the Spectrum Opportunity Fund. He has played a critical role in Spectrum’s growth from startup to a regional developer of and investor in office, multifamily, and mixed-use properties.
Darryl and his wife, Connie, have been married 12 years and have four children between them. When Darryl is not working, he and Connie are involved with various charitable initiatives focused on offering individuals a hand up, making a lasting positive impact on their communities. They enjoy traveling together, especially to visit their young adult children. Darryl also enjoys golfing and going to the beach.
University of Georgia, Bachelor of Business, Honors Program
Professional Affiliations and Community Activities
- Center for Real Estate, University of North Carolina Charlotte, Board Member
- Charlotte Center City Partner, Planning & Development Committee, Member
- The First Tee of Charlotte, Development Committee, Member
- African Children’s Choir, Supporter
- Urban Land Institute (ULI), Member
Awards & Accolades
- Business North Carolina, Power 100 Award, 2018, 2019, 2020