Multifamily Construction Manager | Charlotte, NC
The Spectrum Companies is an evergreen real estate company utilizing its exceptional people, solid platform, and deep relationships to create quality projects that enrich the communities we touch.
As Spectrum continues our growth, we are seeking a Construction Manager to help lead in the execution of our substantial pipeline. This is an excellent opportunity for an entrepreneurial, hard-working, and ambitious manager to come alongside an experienced team to grow professionally and be in a position to take advantage of Spectrum’s expanding platform.
The Construction Manager will deliver multifamily projects with a standard of excellence across all phases of construction during the development process. Assigned projects could include varied construction types from wood-frame suburban to steel or concrete podium-type urban infill. It is anticipated that assigned projects will be in North and South Carolina with an expectation for 50% of the workload at any given time to be ‘local’ to Charlotte.
To work as a key member of the overall development and construction team, supporting both the Senior Construction Manager and/or the Director of Construction on assigned projects.
- Oversee construction activities of assigned projects; ensuring they are delivered on time and in budget with a standard of excellence.
- Administer construction contract for assigned projects, including reviewing Payment Applications and vetting / making recommendations on requested Change Orders.
- Review all required ‘field decisions’, during the construction process, pulling in the design team as needed, and present a narrowed range of solutions, including cost, schedule, functionality and aesthetic for final direction.
- Review RFIs, submittals, field reports and other procedural documentation for accuracy and thoroughness to ensure a proper standard of care is being applied.
- Coordinate scope and installation of telecom, water & sewer, power and other utility providers.
- Procure owner consultants, such as water intrusion, accessibility and acoustics, and act as the point of contact participating in most field visits, reviewing areas of concern and assisting in identifying and driving solutions.
- Ensure projects are turnover to operations team in ‘ready’ condition; ensuring all proper documentation is turned over to property management and building engineer personnel and be a resource to them regarding design and construction related items that arise in the performance of their duties.
- Visit job sites on a regular basis, or as needed, to observe performance of the architect, consultants, and contractor; and monitor quality, schedule and budget.
- Provide pro-active management to avoid job problems, disputes, claims and surprises. Initiate preventive and corrective actions as needed.
- Keep the Spectrum Team fully informed on assigned projects through regular and timely communication, correspondence and meetings, keeping them apprised of important project events, activities and issues, and by soliciting his input, approval, advice and assistance on important project decisions and matters.
- Assist in due diligence and design of potential sites/projects by lending construction expertise.
- Assist in the selection of General Contractor for assigned projects and in the crafting / negotiating of construction contracts and other agreements.
- Obtain bids and complete analysis for construction/field-related Owner Vendors such as Geotech, environmental and Commercial Material Testing & Special Inspections.
- Assist in some portion(s) of the selection, procurement, coordination and installation of Owner Vendors such as audio/video, fitness equipment, signage and FF&E.
- Participate in all regular development and construction meetings for assigned projects; providing support, assistance and advice as required.
- Provide support and advice to our leasing personnel regarding questions involving design and construction matters that arise with existing and prospective tenants.
- Prepare monthly project reports.
Experience, Education, and Certifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from a top university in a related field (Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management).
- 5 years of professional experience with a minimum of 2 years related multifamily experience.
- Excellent knowledge of construction and development industry, including the development process.
- Team-oriented mindset with strong interpersonal, negotiation, and communication skills and a positive attitude.
- Demonstrated project management and team skills with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment, handle multiple concurrent large-scale projects with minimal supervision and work both independently and collaboratively.
- Proactive, solution-oriented mindset with an interest in continuous improvement and adding value.