Development Manager | Charlotte, NC
The Spectrum Companies is an evergreen real estate company utilizing its exceptional people, solid platform, and deep relationships to create quality projects that enrich the communities we touch.
As Spectrum continues our growth, we are seeking a Development Manager to help lead in the execution of our substantial pipeline. This is an excellent opportunity for an entrepreneurial, hard-working, and ambitious developer to come alongside an experienced team to grow professionally and be in a position to take advantage of Spectrum’s expanding platform.
The Development Manager will lead the execution of multifamily development deals in various markets throughout the Carolinas, reporting to Spectrum’s Managing Director and providing hands-on management of all aspects of project development. This individual should be highly collaborative and take pride in the opportunity to deliver best-in-class residential communities while demonstrating a wide variety of business and project management skills with substantial responsibility.
- Assisting the Managing Director in the evaluation of sites for multifamily development, including feasibility studies, market assessments, and investment underwriting.
- Managing all aspects of due diligence for new development opportunities, including evaluating density, entitlement, environmental, title and, geotechnical assessments by third-party vendors.
- Coordinating entitlement processes, including meeting with municipality officials and conducting community outreach.
- Assisting the Managing Director with the design process from inception through construction documents, collaborating with Spectrum’s internal construction management group and the project’s consultants to deliver exceptional communities.
- Collaborate with Spectrum’s construction team to oversee the construction of the development while managing the design and implementation of non-GC property components, including signage, communications, a/v, furnishings, and equipment, etc.
- Coordinate the marketing, delivery, and operations of properties during lease-up; managing underwritten budgets and leveraging Spectrum’s asset management team to optimize the value of the investment.
- Ensure that project’s opening is well-coordinated and executed and assist in the disposition of the asset.
- Leverage Spectrum’s capital management group with investment analyses and offerings by providing market intelligence, including rent comparables, supply/demand fundamentals, demographic and employment insights, and other underwriting assumptions in support of Spectrum’s investment committee, investors, partners, and lenders.
- Provide periodic project updates, including financials, schedule, and other applicable specifics, to Spectrum leadership.
- Regular in-town travel and occasional out-of-town and overnight travel required.
Education, Experience, and Certifications:
- Bachelor’s degree from a top university in a related field (MBA or similar is a plus).
- 5 years of professional experience with a minimum of 3 years related multifamily experience.
- Excellent knowledge of real estate and development industry, including the development process.
- Strong interpersonal, negotiation, and communication skills and a positive attitude.
- Demonstrated project management and team skills with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment, handle multiple concurrent large-scale projects with minimal supervision and work both independently and collaboratively.
- Proactive, solution-oriented mindset with an interest in continuous improvement and adding value.